Restlessness

restlessness-650

At times we get frustrated with who we are and where we are at. We want to be better; better at expression, better at compassion, better at communicating, better at understanding. Dissatisfaction incites us to move and change. According to Nietsche, it is a restlessness that we all have from time to time and “we have to answer for our existence to ourselves and will therefore be our own true pilots, and not admit that our existence is random or pointless” (Armstrong, 2013, p. 11). For truly, I would rather not admit that my existence is pointless. We need to boldly go where we haven’t gone before; challenge ourselves. For “at bottom every man knows that he is a unique being, the like of which can appear only once on this earth. By no extraordinary chance will such a marvellous piece of diversity in unity, as he is, ever be put together a second time” (Armstrong, 2013, p. 8). This is you. This is me. What we long for is attainable though maybe not simple. We can choose the path that gets us there despite the suffering or disappointment that may accompany us along the way, and when we reach our destination, surely one of many, we will celebrate it and recognize it for the great feat that it is.

I have survived the masters experience.  No amount of sacrifice, tears, frustration, information overload, misunderstanding, missed family time, extreme fatigue, yelling at the top of my lungs, "I QUIT" (again), prevented me from reaching my goal.  It was painful.  It was exhilarating. It was overload.  It was knowledge building. It was rewarding.  It is over. That is...until the next round of restlessness brings forth an epiphany that incites me to embark on the next impossible journey.

Armstrong, J. (2013).  Life lessons from nietzche.  Macmillan. 

There are no facts, only interpretations.

Friedrich Nietzsche

My Cultural Bag

ronda_vid

Reflecting on my M.Ed. journey requires understanding where I've come from. Early on in my M.Ed. experience I explored my personal cultural inventory as a project in one of my studies.  My cultural bag demonstrates where I've come from, my cultural beliefs, my values, my desires, my goals and dreams, and what I bring into interactions with others. This reflection on my cultural identity development aided me early on in my journey to recognize my biases, my place in culture and encouraged an awareness to understand the diversity of others.  It also helped me to develop a vision for where I wanted to go with my studies.